Bill Fronczek

Trolley Tracks in the North Hills

Submitted by CTHS on September 07, 2017 - 10:56 pm

One of the most popular subjects for our talks has been the Harmony Line, the electric trolley that ran from Pittsburgh through Cranberry Township, then to Evans City and beyond. The car barn was located in Harmony. For our next talk, we are getting two Trolley lines for one trolley price. Our speaker is trolley expert Bill Fronczek, and he will talk about the Harmony Line (also known as the Harmony Route), which had the official name of the Pittsburgh, Harmony, Butler and New Castle Railway, and he will also talk about the Butler Short Line, which had the official name of the Pittsburgh and Butler Street Railway. Both cars lines ran from overhead electrified wires through the North Hills. The Harmony Line ran from Pittsburgh through what is now the McKnight Road corridor, along Evergreen Road, through Ingomar, Warrendale, then through Cranberry Township. Cranberry had six trolley stops: Duthil, Criders, Rowan, Franklin Road, Plains Church and the West stop. The Criders stop was at Meeders Store (now Burger King) and was a popular local stop. These two trolley lines were a Godsend to the locals in 1908 as it would take over a day to ride by horse to Pittsburgh. People riding the trolley could shop in Pittsburgh and be home in the evening. Farmers could now use the freight cars to move crops and milk. Saw mills moved lumber on it and laborers such as oilmen traveled to the wells. No longer would wagons get stuck in the mud on Perrysville Road (Rt. 19). School children also had a reliable way to school. After leaving Cranberry Township, the Harmony Line continued on to Evans City then to Butler or New Castle and it's spur to Beaver Falls...

Event Date
September 13, 2017 - 6:15 pm